Tuesday 16 August 2011

Lotus-Shaped Pineapple Tarts

          This evening, Iftar was relatively quiet....only my husband, the two boys & myself were home. Amirah is putting up in a hostel as she started school at NTU last week. Maliah was out with her classmates for dinner. So my husband & I still have a few more years before the boys too will be out with their lives outside the house........

    
           I baked my Pineapple Tarts over the weekend. There are soooo many versions of this must-have Hari Raya delicacy, but the one that I've been using for almost 2 decades is the recipe from Wannah Alshatrie, my weekend baking teacher. Since I learnt to make her version, I've never used any other recipes....the pastry melts in the mouth & so addictive! If you have not made your Kueh Tart, give this recipe a try....you won't regret! 


I'm submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #10: Easy as Pie (August 2011), hosted by Janine of Not The Kitchen Sink!

Lotus-Shaped Pineapple Tarts
makes about 200 pieces

Pastry:
A
400g butter
2 egg yolk
1 egg white
2 tbsp milk powder
2 tbsp powder sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
B
600g plain flour (sifted)

Filling:
{Sorry, I don't have the measurement for this as my mum made it for me. She just agak-agak (estimated).}
Pineapple (grated or chopped finely)
Sugar
(Combine pineapple & sugar in a saucepan cook until thick.)

Step-by-step illustration of how to form the lotus-shaped tart!

Method:

  1. Combine A & mix thoroughly using a spoon.
  2. Add in B & mix thoroughly.
  3. Roll dough placed in between a plastic sheet to 1/4 inch thickness . Use a floured 5- or 6- petal flower shaped  cookie cutter and cut dough.
  4. Gently press the center of flower-shaped pastry with finger & place filling on it.
  5. Using a small pair of scissors, snip edge of petal & lift it up as shown in picture.
  6. Place on a baking tray.
  7. Bake in a preheated oven at 150 deg C for about 30 minutes, rotating tray 180 deg halfway through baking.
  8. Cool tarts & store in an air-tight container.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Where did u get the cutter from? Tx! Ur pineapple tart design is ingenious!

Faeez said...

Hi there!
Thanks for dropping by. You can get it from any neighbourhood kitchenware stores.

Anonymous said...

Hi... I've searched quite a few like PH & Sun Lik. I can't find. Cld u tell me specifically where u got it? Tx

Faeez said...

Hi, actually I don't really remember exactly where because I bought it many years ago. But I'll keep a look out... Appreciate if you could drop me an email so that i can keep u posted once i find it.

Masza said...

Sis...may I know is butter used is salted or unsalted? Thank you.

Faeez said...

Masza, I usually use salted for kuih tart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...