Thursday 19 April 2012

Amazing bananas....

There are some overripe bananas in my kitchen so I thought it's time for me to bake Choc-Bottom Banana Squares, something  I'd been meaning to do for a while. Bananas are just amazing.... don't you think? They are delicious, nutritious & quite versatile. Eat them on their own, mix them with cereal  or ice-cream or add them when baking cakes or bread. And we all know that when adding them in cakes, the overripe ones are the best.


As expected, the Choc-Bottom Banana Squares are delicious & moist. They taste even better the next day. The next time I bake this ( I'm sure I will!), I'll sprinkle some nuts for the crunch....


Choc-Bottom Banana Squares
Source: Anie KG & Rima

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, about 113g - I used unsalted
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas- I used 8 medium bananas (pisang berangan)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup chocolate chips (I used coffee chocolate chips.)
1 tbsp canola oil  (I added to the cocoa batter because I notice the cocoa powder has a drying effect on the batter.)

Method:
1.Line & grease a cake pan....I used a 7 x 10 inch cake pan.
2.Cream butter and sugar. Add in egg, vanilla and mashed bananas, mix well.
3.Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture. Mix well.
4.Divide batter into 2 portions. Add the cocoa powder into one portion . I also added canola oil to the cocoa portion. 
5.Spread half of the plain portion at the bottom of your tin followed by the cocoa portion. Then top off with the remaining plain batter. Swirl the batter around a few times using a skewer or the handle of a spoon  to create a marbled effect. Sprinkle chocolate chips.
6.Bake at 170C for about 30 minutes. Leave to cool, then cut into squares. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...