Sunday 15 July 2012

Strawberry Layered Cake

Two weeks ago, my friends & I gathered for a barbecue. Actually, we wanted to find an excuse to have one. And since 2 of us are June babies, we thought that was a good reason to organise a gathering. One of the birthday girls is me...hehe.  Yes, I turned 47 on June 17. 

Picture courtesy of Shahida, the other birthday girl.

Since I am the baker in the group, I had the privilege to bake the birthday cake! Coincidentally, I had been thinking  of baking a layered cake... a rainbow cake, actually. But because of time constraint, I baked a 3-layered cake instead of  a 6-layered rainbow cake. The cake turned out quite pretty... it was also moist & delicious. We all loved it! Thanks Ricke for sharing this recipe.

Picture taken with my phone.


Another picture courtesy of Shahida.

Strawberry Layered Cake
Recipe adapted from Ricke Indriani's Rainbow Cake.
Cake:
8 egg yolk
7 large whole eggs
200g granulated sugar
15g cake emulsifier
1/4 tsp salt
*125g plain flour (I used cake flour.)
*25g cornflour
*15g milk powder
*combined & sifted.
1 tsp vanilla essence
150g butter (melted)
strawberry flavour
food colouring (I used red & pink.)
  1. Heat oven at 190deg C.
  2. Prepare three 22 inch round baking pan. Grease & line with grease paper. Set aside.
  3. Combine all ingredients except butter & food colouring. Mix on high speed until mixture is thick, about 8 minutes. 
  4. Pour in melted butter & mix, preferably with hand, until well blended.
  5. Divide mixture into 3 equal portions & add colouring. (I used red, dark pink & light pink.)
  6. Bake each pan for about 15-20 minutes until cooked.
  7. Remove cake from pan & leave aside to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
250 cream cheese
100g unsalted butter, cold
500ml sweetened non-dairy whip cream (whipped.)
Combine cream cheese & butter in a mixing bowl & cream until light & pale. Add in whipped cream & mix gently until well blended. Set aside in the fridge.

Simple Syrup
100g sugar
300ml water
Combine & boil water & sugar. Set aside to cool.

fresh strawberries - sliced (I added.)

Assembling of cake:
Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Remove the skin of the cake & brush some sugar syrup on the cake. Then spread the frosting. Place some cut strawberries. Top with another cake layer, brush some sugar syrup, spread some frosting & place cut strawberries. Top with remaining cake layer; spread sides and top of cake with frosting. Decorate as desired. Refrigerate before serving.

3 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

You added 60% more of the sugar, sound a lot to me, hehehe..Never had durian Bingka before, sound good!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you. You have did a beautiful layer cake.

Faeez said...

Sonia,
Thank you for the well wishes. Yup, I underestimated the sweetness of the ambon. Anyway, I tried making them again, this time without adding more sugar. The sweetness is perfect! Durian Bingka Ambon is nice.... try making it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...