Wednesday 20 November 2013

Thai Coconut Pudding.... on a wordless Wednesday




Notes & modifications:
  1. Since I used palm sugar instead of brown sugar, I modified the cooking method. In a saucepan, I combined  palm sugar, white sugar,  1.5 cups of water & torn pandan leave. I brought to a boil over medium-high heat. Then I strained the syrup. I washed the saucepan & pour back the strained sugar syrup into the saucepan. Then I added in the chopped chestnuts & continued cooking over medium fire. After that,  I continued with step 3.
  2. I find the pudding quite sweet, not sure if it's because I used the palm sugar. So, next time I make this, I'll reduce the sugar.
  3. I also find this pudding slightly soft, I like it better if it's firmer. So I'll reduce the liquid or increase the flour the next time I make it.

Thai Coconut Pudding (Thago)
Recipe  from Thai Cooking from the Siam Cuisine Restaurant by Kwanruan Aksomboon, Somchai Aksomboon, & Diana Hiranaga.

Pudding:
1/2 cup rice flour
2 cups water
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts (I used 3 whole chestnuts.)
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed [I used 80g gula Melaka (palm sugar.)]
1/4 cup white sugar
1 pandan leaf - torn & tight into a knot (I added.)
  1. In a small bowl, combine the rice flour & 1/2 cup of the water. Set aside.
  2. **In a small saucepan, combine the water chestnuts, brown sugar, white sugar & remaining 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower heat to medium. 
  3. Slowly stir in 1/2 cup of the rice flour mixture with a wire whisk. Reserve the remaining rice flour mixture for the topping. Whisk for about a minute & remove from the stove. The pudding should still be opaque. Makes about 1 1/2 cups. 
  4. Spoon  the pudding into dessert or pandan cups, filling them to 1/4 inch below the rim. Smooth the surface & set aside.
** Refer to my notes & modifications above on what I did for step 2.
    Topping:
    1 cup thick coconut milk
    1 tbsp sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    small red rose petals for garnish
    1. Combine the coconut milk, sugar & salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, being careful not to let it burn. 
    2. Slowly stir in the reserved rice-flour mixture to thicken slightly. Remove from heat.
    3. Pour 2 tablespoons of the topping over the pudding, filling the cups to the rim. Garnish with rose petals.

    How to make the pandan leaf cup:

    1. Take a pandan leave, preferably a wide piece. Cut one end of the leaf & fold it five times to make markings on the leaf. Press the folds so the markings are clear.


    2. Unfold. There must be 5 equal parts, each measuring about 1.5 - to 2 inches long. Cut the excess part at the other end of the leaf.


    3. Snip the leaf at the fold lines up to the centre of the leaf. Cut off a lower end part completely.


    4. Fold to form a cup. Attach the last part to the cup using a stapler.




    5. If there's any hole at the center of the cup, cover it with a piece of cut leaf.



    I'm submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand),  November 2013 hosted by Lena of frozen wings. I'm also linking this post to Cook-your-books event no.6 organised by Kitchen Flavours.

    5 comments:

    Victoria Bakes said...

    what a fantastic dessert.... and the tips on wrapping the leaf cup is so useful! thanks for sharing

    Jozelyn Ng said...

    Wow, this dessert is my favourite!

    Gee® said...

    wow! sedapnyaaa...

    kitchen flavours said...

    Lovely dessert! Must be really "wangi" from the pandan leaf!

    lena said...

    appreciate your illustration making the pandan leaf cups, very helpful! That's a nice idea to serve them in glass too! thx for your entry again, faaez!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...