I baked banana blueberry muffins after a break from baking.... I still went to work on the first few days of the school holidays to tie up some loose ends. Then had a girls-only weekend trip to KL with my daughters, even though I'd already caught the flu bug.... I'd promised the girls we would go. We walked & ate a lot, as intended. It was only when I returned home that the flu got worst, so I spent the next few days at home, on the bed most of the time. I suppose it's God's way of making me stay at home, specifically on bed...
These muffins are very moist & delicious. I tweaked the original recipe by browning the butter to give a more nutty flavour.... an extra step, but definitely worth the effort!
Brown Butter Banana Blueberry Muffins
3 large ripe bananas (I used 4 medium pisang berangan.)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup melted browned butter (I used 100g butter & cooked it to get 1/3 cup of browned butter.)
1/2 tsp vanilla paste
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups plain flour
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the milk solids have turned a nutty golden brown. Set aside.
- Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, egg & vanilla.
- Add butter and blueberries.
- Combine dry ingredients and gently stir into banana mixture.
- Pour into paper cups or greased muffin pan. (I used 25 mini paper cups.)
- Bake at 180 deg C for about 20 minutes.
I'm linking this post to the event Little Thumbs Up (June 2014 Event: Butter) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Jozelyn Ng (Spice Up My Kitchen).